Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Never Before...one more time now!

Before The Muppet Movie was unleashed upon cinemas, the Muppets themselves gathered in Coconut Grove, Hollywood, for a small, private party -- in other words, a huge celebrity bash hosted by Dick van Dyke and Rita Moreno, featuring a plethora guests ranging from Christopher Reeve and LeVar Burton to Vincent Price and Liberace. This was The Muppets Go Hollywood, a one-hour tv special which aired on CBS in 1979.

Within the program for this glamerous promo party, Johnny Mathis joined Rowlf at the piano to croon his rendition of Never Before, Never Again, as Kermit and Piggy gaze on from a nearby table-for-two.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! It's been a long time since I saw this special, and it has aroused a plethora of tangled feelings. How wonderful it was to see my fave couple enjoying the happily married bliss that creator Jim Henson obviously intended them to have! And how incredibly bummed I am that, as things stand, someone has managed to snatch their "happily ever after" away from them.
When did it become more cool for a nice guy like Kermit to string someone along and "keep his options open." The very thought of Kermit being emotionally dishonest like that is repugnant to me. Kermit was the sweet, lovable, easy-to-discombobulate amphibian that I knew form Sesame Street--not some flavor-of-the-month player. When did intergrity and fidelity become bad things? I grew up watching the evolution of the Kermit/Piggy relationship only to have the official sources act as though I never saw what I saw, or knew what I knew.
Wow--just look at the two of them! Look at the tender fulfillment in Piggy's face! Look at Kermit's look of happiness and entitlement, to be sitting there with the woman of his dreams--and to contemplate going home with her at the end of a long day. I'd like somebody to tell me I made it all up NOW!